I finished the top!

I finished the top that I sewed for the Sew Mama Sew Online contest!  It was a challenge for me as I had never sewn anything like it before. I pretty much stick to making bags, which I love making.

The fabric was a challenge it was slippery and frayed a lot, but I am pleased with the end result and I used fabric from my stash to clear out my craft closet!  Awesome! Now I need to find a reason to wear it! :)

Here it is!  


My version of the Melly Sews High Low top.  I did a few modifications.  The top didn't lie well on the bust area so I created a slit which was very tricky to manage when I did the bias tape to finish the top edge. I also added bias tape to the sleeves and also I tried to make the top more finished looking on the inside by adding some bias tape on the seams on the inside as well. Hopefully it will not fall apart that easily because I did this work since the fabric frays so easily. 

Next time, I would just try french seams, the bias tape every where made the inside a little bulky, but it was a learning curve.   I've never done french seams by the way, it's on my list to do though someday.

I am pleased that the top turned out at all. It was my first. Now I want to make another! Nothing like a contest to get one motivated to actually finish a project.

Link to the tutorial (if you want the pattern, you can get it on Craftsy or subscribe on her page):
http://mellysews.com/2013/02/high-low-shirt-tutorial-pattern.html


Here's the link to the contest page:
http://www.sewmamasew.com/2015/06/join-the-super-online-sewing-match-community-match-info-prizes/


Comments

  1. Just saw this... The top is very nice. Did you make one or two? The colors in the pictures look very different. I hate sewing stuff that frays. I try to use a zigzag stitch along the edges to stop it from coming apart, but that doesn't always work.

    I was thinking that you might try to make pants for Andrew just because you mentioned you have a hard time finding pants that fit him. When you and Nick were little, they used to have these cute corduroy pants and overalls for kids. It had very thin lines. I don't know if I have any pictures of any of them, but I really thought they were nice and practical (for crawling and playing). I haven't seen anything like them in quite awhile.

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts